Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Hello-

I'm never really sure what to say in this introductory section. How's everyone doing? How's mama n' them?

My aim for this post was to come up with pictures of things Detroit, but, as you'll see it turned into whatever struck me as blog worthy.

Hope you enjoy. -Tyler



Above and below are pictures of the old train station in Detroit. It's one of the more visible examples of the city's decline.

On a lighter note: When I first saw it, I was like, that place kind of looks like the Tower of Terror at Disney World. That would be neat... Am I right or am I right? No, I am not right. The ToT, as I will cal it, is pink and looks nothing like the train station in Detroit. Google image search told me so: Check it out:

http://www.guide2wdw.com/images/1Digital%20Pictures/MGM%20-%20Tower%20of%20Terror%20Outside%202.jpg

This place is so dreary I waited for an overcast rainy day to take its picture and capture its full dreariosity. I'm probably not being fair, architectually, it's a beautiful builiding. I just can't help but wonder if there are any free falling elevators inside. Maybe that twilight zone video thing is playing somewhere inside? What's that? You've never ridden the ToT or been to Disney World? Oh, sorry. Moving on...
Above: An outside shot of the church where I work (Central UMC) from the park across the street.
Below: Two interior shots of the church sanctuary. It's real purdy.


This is a shot I took from the sixth floor patio of Central. It's pretty crazy how close the church is to Comerica Park, home of the Tigers. You can also see a little bit of Ford Field (where the Lions play) behind Comerica.

As some of you, ok probably most all of you do not know, the Detroit Shock recently won the WNBA title. In honor of Shock victory a jersey was placed on the statue of the "Spirit of Detroit" downtown. Every time a bell rings, no, I'm so wierd, every time a local pro team wins a championship the team's jersey is hoisted over the statue. We'll see if the Tigers are next.

I don't care what anybody says, I look good in an apron. Just thought you should know.

A nice picture of our house. As I've mentioned before, it's a duplex and my roomate and I live on the second floor. You should know, while I was outside taking this picture I spotted the kids on our block, the Spanish speaking ones, and I thought about taking their picture for the blog. I decided not to because it probably wouldn't have been like, oh, theirs our friendly new neighbor, let's go take our picture with him. It would have been more like, let's run inside and tell Mommy about the sexual predator with the flashy camera.
Bad decision averted. Good picture of the house.

Just in case you were confussed, we live on the west side of town.

Really, there are two things I've always wanted to do, well, really just since I took this picture. One, take a picture of myself on a shrink chair, and two, incorporate the word verclemfnt into the blog. Don't I look verclemfnt?
Not pictured in the blog: the biggest tire in the world. That's right. Detroit is home to the world's largest tire. Unfortunately, I was not prepared to photograph the tire as I passed it on the interstate last week. However, you can take comfort in the fact that I am an Abnormally Large Tire Tiretician. It's a real profession, you can look it up. This one is hands down the biggest I've ever seen.

2 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

In the picture where you're lying down on the shrink couch you look like you're made of wax, which is neat. Also, I recently watched the movie "Detroit Rock City" and it made me wonder if Detroit really was that "rockin'" and after this entry it appears as though it really is.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger J-Mike said...

Hey Ty this is your cuz John Michael...just wanted to leave a comment and tell you I was reading...sorry the username is stupid we use eblogger at school...senior year is no fun- contrary to what every one else has told me! have fun talk to you later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home