Tuesday, September 05, 2006


So what's up with the hand? Folks from Michigan like to use their hand as a map of the state. Take another look at a US map and you will see that Michgan vaguely resembles a human hand. Say I ask somebody from Michigan where such and such town is in Michigan. Without fail they'll throw their hand up, right hand mind you, palm out. Then they'll start pointing to the right hand with the left hand. In this case we'll use a golf golve, thank you google image search.

As you know, I'm in Detroit, which is roughly in the south eastern hand regoin of the state. This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit the state's beautiful thumb region. Seriously, people would ask me what I was doing for Labor Day weekend, and I was like, oh I'm going up North to the thumb. Duh. Everybody's doin it. Thumb or bust. People in Michigan really do call the thumb-esque part of the state "the thumb".

Lot's of folks around Detroit go "up North" as they say, for vacation. The North (of Michigan)consists of lots of woods, lakes, isolated areas, you get the drift. Good for huntin, fishin, "gettin right with God", "finding yourself", that kind of thing.

Two of our regular vounteers for NOAH invited Amy (my roomate) and I "up North" to their place in "the thumb". John and Judy's place is slightly below the thumb nail in our hand diagram to the left. Well, now above.

John and Judy are retired and probably in their early 60s. They come down to Central every Monday and Thursday to help us serve bag lunch. John and Judy both are extremely patient and work really well with people. They've also had Amy and I over to their house in Detroit for dinner. They really are exceptionally generous folks.

Anyway, the trip itself is not really worth telling about in this space. I really just wanted to better acquaint everyone to the Michigan hand. However, I did get to drive a tractor for the first time, so that was sweet. I jest about Northern Michigan being a place to "get right with God", but it really was a peaceful getaway for a few days.

Hope all is well with everyone. -Tyler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home